Wednesday 27 February 2013

I did it! A Mile Completed.

Well people I did it a mile without stopping or walking, it was slow but I did it. YeahhHHHHH. This is how it happened.

Yesterday evening, we met in the carpark of the Gleneagle Hotel as usual. It had been a fabulous day, blue clear skies but chilly by 7p.m. yesterday evening it was cold. When we had all assembled we crossed the road and began with a jog down to a holiday village sign. I was going to be focussed this evening, I was going to find my pace, look straight ahead and not talk.  As usual I fell into my usual place at the back of the group but this time I felt strong, confident. As I joined the group to do stretches I felt good about myself. This feeling didn't last!
On the way back I kept feeling winded, winded isn't the right word either. I slowed down and gave into the temptation and walked. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. As the we stretched it out I felt annoyed and mad with myself.  I set off with Susan ahead of the rest of the group to complete a mile, I hadn't gone a quarter of the way when I gave into the temptation to walk. I had let myself down. I started running again and then walked. Susan pushed on with Assumpta and Michelle she was doing really well. As I finished, Brenda was encouraging. Everyone was heading off again for another run, I was hanging back. Brenda knew I wasn't happy, she told me to head off at my own pace, to remember what we had done the previous week, to slow it down when I felt like walking but to keep moving. At this stage I taken off my glasses so I couldn't focus on specifics in front of me.
I was determined and something just clicked in my head. I just looked straight ahead I could feel the rhythm in my legs. The cold was hitting my face even though I was warm my eyes were watering. What a state I must have looked.  I slowed down a few times, I wasn't going to be winning any time trials.  As I approached my dreaded STOP my group were there to cheer me on. I had done it, it may seem a small distance in the scheme of what we all hope to achieve but last night it meant alot, it meant I was progressing.
Brenda also handed back our food diaries with some comments on how to improve our diets. I am a bit of a coffee addict so I'll have to do something about that.  I'll have to try and drink more water i'll have to make it part of my routine as best I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment