Saturday 16 February 2013

Seriously I'm not having a heart attack!

Seriously I'm not having a heart attack! I said to myself as i ran on that Tuesday evening. I say ran but that really would be a stretch. It was more like a bit of a jog, a bit of a walk, a bit of oh my God why am I doing this!  The warm up was from the STOP sign to the holiday Village sign and back. Seriously! Every few steps my chest felt  tight and I couln't catch my breath. Brenda had spent some time explaining how important our breathing technique was when running and so here i was thinking & trying to breath  in through the nose out through the mouth.  My fellow runners seem alot fitter and able to push on than I.
We were put into pairs with other runners,  I was paired with Assumpta who couldn't pass the STOP sign until her partner i.e. ME passed it with her. I felt so bad as I knew I was holding her back. But like our group she encouraged me along. Brenda spoke encouragingly as I asked will I be able for the half marathon, saying there was plenty of time to get there. So in Brenda I trust.
I got my weekly training program. With great excitement Susan, Olivia and myself looked at our programs comparing them as we sat in McDonalds. I know I know but we were only having coffee. I swear. I eft them filled with great enthuasiasm for the week ahead. For the months ahead.
I had at this stage been off cigarettes for 3 days. I felt fine although my other half John might not agree.  I got up the following morning and set off on my training plan. I hadn't to run miles I had to jog and walk and intervals. At the end I felt great.
The week passed Saturday arrived, at 8.45 I set off on the training session. I went at my own pace which is slow but compared to the Saturday previous, I felt so much better. Each day is getting easier to move without the cigarettes. We jogged into the Killarney National Park, the air was crisp, the sky blue, I thought how lucky are we to have this on our doorsteps.
As we neared the STOP sign I felt happyish with my limited efforts.
I wondered if I would next week?

No comments:

Post a Comment