Saturday 16 February 2013

The Beginning of my change?

2013 is a big year I turn 40.  I think like most people I am not living the life I dreamed I would have at 18, I had goals which I would now never reach. But there were some which I could.  Two in particular were at the forefront of my now aging brain - GIVE UP SMOKING and RUN A HALF MARATHON.
As the Christmas decorations came down, I spied an advertisement for the Run Killarney Marathon in July 2013.  The organisers had arranged a meeting at the Gleneagle Hotel to give details with regards the three races they were holding on 20th July - 10km, half marathon & full marathon. They also wanted  to set up a running group.
On a dark evening in January, having talked my sister Susan and our mum into going with me, we listened intently to the organisers and Brenda Doody, a personal trainer and fitness expert who would lead the running  group. As I sat there listening, I had dreams of myself crossing a finishing line hands raised in triumph, so I signed up. As did Susan. I should at this stage, point out that I was still smoking 20 cigarettes a day and hadn't ran since I left National School, nearly 30 years ago. Was I MAD?
We met two weeks later on a Tuesday evening, Brenda outlined what our training would entail and introduced us to stretching pre and post run.  The group was made up of runners at all levels. The plan was to meet on the following Saturday morning at 8.45 am.
That morning I got up and with excitement I left the house. Arriving late the group was assembled in all their glory before me beaming faces which would become familiar over the weeks to follow.  As I crossed the road that morning I had no idea of the large wake up call I was about to receive. Brenda had to assess your running/ability level. Following stretches and a warm up jog, each us would run a mile which Brenda would time.
It went like this:- Stretching: ok not bad balance not hetic but so far so good. 
                            Warm Up: what the -------. Oh God this is the warm up i can only run a few paces with out stopping to catch a breath which is exceedling hard to do as my chest now sounds like a train. I think I'm in trouble.
                             The Mile: From the warm up you can guess where I came in. Its a position I will come familiar with as the weeks pass.
I pity Brenda what must she have thought as she saw me huffing and puffing come up to the STOP sign. ( This STOP sign is red one we see along the roads and I hated it that Saturday, I can't say I have grown much fonder of it but the hate has passed. I think!)

SUNDAY 27th JANUARY 2013 The first day of my new fit healthy life. I gave up cigarettes last night  after Saturday's  morning.  SO now my change has begun!

No comments:

Post a Comment