Sunday 23 June 2013

Longest run done! YEAH!!!

Saturday morning, I met our group in the Gleneagle hotel car park at 8 a.m.  It had been raining earlier but had dried up so as I set off it was a fine fresh morning. We all stayed together until the Lake Hotel where we did our stretches and then we continued on. 
As I continued into the national park I was happy enough, I just went at my own pace. Before long I had passed the Abbey and was heading in the direction of  Muckross house, before the house I turned right and headed toward Dinis Cottage.  Basically you are running round the lake.
I saw no one in front of me but  I felt comfortable as I ran. Then, I saw Caroline and Aidan coming against me, they had all started their run at 7, they looked good for what they had run.
As I was running, I found myself smiling I was enjoying myself so far! The route is very hilly, some of which aren't too bad, some of which are, but it really is a beautiful part of the national park. After passing the 'meeting of the waters bridge' and just before 'Dinis cottage', I met Liam coming against me, I think I was smiling when I passed him as I continued pass Dinis Cottage and onto towards the car park on the Molls Gap road, I wasn't smiling as much. The hills seemed harder to climb. I met  Lisa, Tina, and Geraldine they were running well. As I turned and went up the next hill, I thought "I must be nearly there",  At this point I met Susan and Michelle they were cursing the hills.  Then after few metres I turned the next corner and I kid you not the climb up to the car park was very, very, very steep.  As I got to the top, I stopped to retie my laces which had come lose. It had been annoying me slightly.
As I set off, I couldn't settle into it for a while. To settle myself, I broke the run into small and smaller parts, I was telling myself " run to the next corner", "run up the next  two hills" with the end of these phrases ending with "without walking".  I met a runner at this point running against me, he would pass me once more before I was finished, as slow as I am he was really quick. As I passed the copper mines, I had a few jelly beans. On my last long run I hadn't taken any, so this time I remembered to take a few. 
The rain had held off, the worst I had was a light mist which was quiet refreshing. As I reached the house at the beginning of the trail I felt good because I knew that barring serious injury was going to complete the run. I met three jarvey's which I had to pull in from and as I arrived at Muckross Abbey once more, I said a quick prayer.  And I thought about the book I had read during the week Gerry Duffy's 'Who dares runs', Brenda had recommended that I read it and I found it truly inspiring.  I thought of the old man in Dublin telling Gerry
'put one foot in front of the other and I promise you that you will reach the finish'
and I kept moving forward. As I approached the stop sign at the Gleneagle Hotel I thought I was done but no, I had to continue towards Randles garage and return. As I headed to the stop sign for the second time, I felt my feet quicken once more, I wanted to finish strong with a smile on my face. Which I did  and in doing so  I ran 13 miles.
YEAHHHHH!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment