Friday 22 March 2013

Making progress!

It's been a few weeks since I last blogged, in that time my running has improved and I turned 40 Uhhhh!
After 6 weeks with Brenda and the runkillarney training group my fitness had definitely improved.  As I faced into the next 6 weeks of training I wondered how much would change.
The Tuesday before st Patricks Day I was 40 I also had training. It was tough we were doing hill training and also for a bit of fun sprint relays. I wondered was I going to have a heart attack at the thought of it, but I didn't. My relay group included the fastest in our group, so I gritted my teeth and when I came up to run I put head down and ran as fast as I could, now I didn't win but I put up a good show. At the end of the session I felt good. The group gave me a lovely card & flowers.
We got our training programme for the week ahead and now I could see the real work would be starting. I had a 2 mile run which I completed on Thursday, it was the first time in my training programme that the word mile had appeared, it was completetly daunting to me. I left the house and I set off. Looking straight I listened to the sound of my feet on the road and my breathing. When I reached the 2 mile mark I felt a rush. I punched the air, thankfully my neighbours were not around to see me dancing in the middle of the road.
On Sunday, I did a 3 mile run through the national park in Killarney I took my time slow and steady. Having run 2 miles on Thursday I wasn't as stressed by this run. What I have found out is that I won't be the fastest but if I can do it at my own pace I might prevail.
I will prevail.
On 16th March I went to Tralee to watch the Tralee marathon as I watched the runners cross the finish line I was full of emotion for them.  I imagined how wonderful it must be to cross the line the culmination of weeks & months hard work just having just been achieved.  Of course those in our runkillarney group John, Paul & Geradina did remarkably well.

So as the title of this post infers I believe I am making progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment