Sunday 31 March 2013

Good Friday Run Killarney

At training last Tuesday everyone seemed to be entering the Good Friday Run in Killarney so I decided to throw my hat into the ring too and I signed up on wednesday for the 5mile Run. After filling in the application form I felt sick to my stomach. Would I finish it was my concern. Everyone else was supportive and saying the right things. I visualised the route, I read somewhere this helps.

On the day I met Susan and we went to the Kerry Parents & Friends building in the Port road near the Cathedral and collected our race numbers. We also got a lovely egg cup as a memento of the run. As I pinned on my number on I thought to myself  'What am I doing? I must be mad? I'm not ready!' but regardless of these thoughts I made my way to the start line with Susan and Michelle beside me. 
It was a very cold evening and as I waited for the start I could see heads bopping in front of me as people tried to keep warm. And then I was off!

I had planned to take it easy find my comfortable pace which I have found recently when running. As we had lined up we were at the back and as we went off I found the pace quicker than my normal pace. I also found myself passing people out which would come back to bite. And yet it wasn't planned. I kept up this pace as I went up Mission road , Main st, High St and then I began to wane. People started to pass me out. I no longer could see  Susan, Michelle or anyone else I knew. As I passed the District Hospital for the first time Susan's godchild shouted hello to me. I gave him the thumbs up. As I came down onto the Port Rd, the top runners began to pass me by, they were racing each other to the finish line.  At the Cathedral the man said we had been running for 26 minutes. As I continued at my slow pace I gave in and walked a few steps. But then I began again muttering away to myself willing myself on. Going through the town centre put a pep in my step as I faced in to High St again  I felt quiet alone. I took some water which helped with my dry mouth, I think it was panic. Panic that I wouldn't finish, But, I continued on. Trudged on I suppose. I was next to a small group at this stage they were saying we were the last in the pack. Even though I had told myself I wouldn't mind I apparently did mind. I kept going on and arrived at the cathedral.  Some of those runners who had well finished at that stage buoyed me with their encouraging words. The man who said how long we were running for,  I couldn't make out what he said but he did say 700m. As I went up the Mission Rd, I slowed, stopped to catch a breath someone said you are nearly there I rallied.  As I came into Main St I pushed my legs forward and as I turned into New st and saw the finish line I ran as fast as I could. I crossed the line and my official time was 59.14 mins. I was not last and I had completed it in under an hour. Hells bells I had done it!!!

Susan and Michelle were both there, they had finished 3 &7 mins before me. So I wasn't so bad. Having done this run, I now know I have to work on pushing myself further and try to stop doubting myself. I am proud that I completed it and the time I did it in. As I said before I'll never win a race at the speed I travel at.  But the smile on the picture says it all (I'm on the right No 76)





No comments:

Post a Comment