Thursday 7 September 2017

AUGUST RUNNING Rose of Tralee 10K

Summer running...
Even though my runs have been few and far between, I found myself lining up at the start line of the Rose of Tralee 10K this past August. It was a new route which meant new views which is always nice and there was only one bit of a climb no hills..
Having collected my number with Bernie and my mum who were both entered as well the weather took a turn for the worse. I sat in the car wondering would I even start the run as the rain that fell was torrential and rivers of water formed in the pavements and road. But thankfully the rain eased up and we had nothing but a light shower during the run.
I tried to keep a steady pace moving forward at all times. The first mile or two were OK but when I came to the canal part it really took a toll, it just stretches out in front of you and is a right headwreck. Even though the scenery around it is pretty,  you are passing Blennerville Windmill and heading towards the bay. There were two groups in front of me and I just used them to get me through this stretch, keeping up with them and not leaving them run out of my sight. But, as I passed into the fourth mile my pace became unsteady I used the run/walk method but I could feel a lack of longer runs in my legs. It was around this stage that the groups pushed on and although I tried I couldn't keep up.
The last mile was hard because my bladder began to make demands but knowing that I wasn't too far from the finish line I kept going.
As I hit the six mile mark I just went for the finish thankfully the many 200m runs done in CrossFit stood me good and I crossed the line smiling and running.
Now it was nowhere near the best time I've done for a 10K but considering that I hadn't done too many runs I was happy just to get finished. I wasn't feeling too bad bar the now usual niggle in my left shin, I think some more runs will help this because it never lasts more than a day or two.
I have to say It felt good to get out RUNNING AGAIN...

No comments:

Post a Comment