Thursday 11 June 2015

Beach, Sand, Sun,...Running is my therapy...

Last week saw us heading to Ballyheigue, where Bernie did out our route, we were aiming to do 8 miles. It was exciting to be running somewhere different and the beach setting was just a thrill. Although dry, it was quite breezy which meant it was a tad chilly as we set off.. I soon warmed up!


As we started off, it was all good. The scenery alone would push you forward. Running with the Atlantic Ocean to your right really puts a smile on your face. My plan for the days run was to cover the mileage slow and steady and as I ran on the sand I knew the slow part wouldn't be a problem.


I ran across the sand and shingle.. Jeez, it was becoming apparent to me why Bernie was so fit. By the time, I reached the girls my backside was starting to smart. I kid you not!  The next part of our run was to take us into the sand dunes,  
The paths crossing the dunes were a maze, the paths was narrow, the ground was uneven and I found myself having to work harder to be surefooted as I ran. I was also battling against the wind. All these elements combined to make the run tough but thoroughly enjoyable. But the simplicity of the scenery was what made it wonderful.


And so as I reached the girls, I was smiling. Smiling because I was enjoying the run but mostly because I was delighted to see a tarmac road beside them. The joy of running on an even surface made me sing out loud as I listened to the song playing on my phone and so to the residents of Ballyheigue I apologise as they had to listen to my tone deaf version of  'Hakuna Matata'. (I listen to a varied and wide mix of music when running, don't judge on one song!)
As we turned onto the main road, the next part of the run was familiar, as I had run it as part of the Maurice Collins 4 mile at Easter. It all felt a bit tougher this time round. We were running into the wind and it felt you were battling up a mountain.. Soon enough this loop was done and we were heading toward the beach again. We regrouped, walked a bit and talked,  we headed up over the dunes and as we hit the beach we ran for only a short bit when my garmin told me, I had 8 miles ran. Immediately I pressed stop as by now my derriere was on fire. The girls ran on towards the car, I took off my runners and socks so I could walk in the salty water of the Atlantic ocean. As I walked, I  realised I was a bit away from the car I should have ran a bit further. On reaching the car, I knew sitting down was going to be painful. I was not wrong! 
But a rest day on Sunday a good long soak in a hot bath eased all aches..

Windswept..
Our little running group has for some time thought of giving ourselves a title or moniker and so after some thought, we decided on R.I.O.T runners. What does it mean I hear you ask? Well it is something that I and many more runners have said on more than one occasion.. 
'Running is our therapy'
Anna is the person who came up with the name. It just seemed to suit us..
We also decided to get a group tech shirt.  I know,very exciting!! Well after our run, we headed to collect our new technical shirts. 
And here they are... 

The front
The back
with our names and hometown on the sleeves.. 

We also set up a facebook page so that we can share information of our running, future events and past events we have taken part in. Also, we were able to pull our event photos into one page! If anyone wants to check it out www.facebook.com/Riotrunnerskerry

This week, I also officially signed up for the Run Killarney Half marathon which takes place on the 18th July, so the next few weeks will see me put all my running efforts into getting ready for this 13.1 miles.
#Bringiton


No comments:

Post a Comment