Friday 1 July 2016

Putting in the miles..

I have just been trying to get out as often as I can to run. The half marathon is at the end of July so I have been trying to put the miles on my legs. The weather has not been co operating with me especially when I have planned any kind of long run its either humid and clammy or wet, windy and humid. I am a real #sweatybetty these days.
About two weeks ago on a Sunday morning I headed out for a steady 10 mile run. As I set out the mist descended and very soon the rain fell but worse than that the wind picked up. The first couple of miles was a battle against the elements running into wind it was just URGHHHH!!! There were also a few climbs but I kept moving.

A dark dreary slog uphill

Glimpses of good weather?
I had a bit of a wobble in my own head I thought its too wet, the hills, the wind is making this hard, I'm too slow but unlike other times when I've left my mind wreck my run I pushed on. I was running at a steady pace. The rain was heavy I was completely soaked, thankfully I was wearing my
Gore-tex asics which saved my feet as best they could but the rain was so heavy my feet were squelching in my asics by the end of my run. (Living and running in Ireland Gore-Tex runners are an essential).


I thought at one stage it was going to clear up but it was not to be. The showers were heavy and just after I hit the 7 and half miles my legs felt heavy and from there the run felt like a real slog through to mile 9. I always try to finish strong as its a weakness so the last mile or so wasn't too bad as I dreamt of a hot shower, change of clothes and a coffee. It wasn't a great run due to the weather but I was happy to be increasing my mileage.
I haven't run as much with the girls as everyone is busy with life even this past Monday I didn't get to run with them but I did  a quick run around the roads at home. It was a beautiful evening sun shining blue skies and sweat. I took off too quickly and paid for it at the end when my legs felt heavy and I missed out on a new 5K PR..
Missed PR selfie...

General things from the last few weeks:

I just seem to have piles of running and crossfit gear to wash all the time due to me being a #sweatybetty or wet damp gear.

I am NOT a Sprinter

I need to foam roll and stretch more.

I still can't straighten my arms over my head.. but I'm working on it!

I have developed a taste for Earl Grey tea, it's so refreshing.

And so the next few weeks will be about putting in time and the last few miles on my legs before the Half marathon while enjoying it and keeping a smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment