Sunday 3 April 2016

The 2016 Crossfit Open and I...


I haven't done much running this week. I had to give my leg a rest. I  did go to Crossfit which held no pressure this week as the open was over. I began Crossfit last autumn and quickly it has become an essential part of my weekly routine.  
Over the last five weeks I took part in the Crossfit Open, this a worldwide event open to all crossfitters, each week a workout is done and your score is ranked. For most people who crossfit this is were it ends, for the fittest their aim is to get to the Crossfit games (kinda like the Crossfit Olympics!) here they will be crowned the fitness man,woman,teenager or team. Each workout is announced on the Thursday night (Pacific Time) via the internet, thursday nights over the open meant little sleep as I anxiously waited to find out what the workout would be. Friday mornings meant looking at the announcement fretting, it also meant watching my favourite part of the announcement the Ro vs Boz match up. #TeamRo all the way..
Why did I sign up? This was the question that whirled around my head on Friday 26th February. But I had and there was nothing to do only turn up and get on with it. Which I did. I was just delighted that first night to have it done. 
The main memory that I took from the first night which stayed and kept me going throughout the open was the camaraderie of my fellow competitors, the encouragement of those who supported us and the unwavering support of our coach Eric.
The first two weeks passed, I was happy enough but 16.3 nearly broke me. The workout was 10 power snatches at 35lb and 5 jumping chest to bar pull ups a 7 min AMRAP (as many reps as possible), as the clock started I did the 10 power snatches and then headed to the bar. And here I stayed, trying to get 1 jumping chest to bar pull up for the next 6 or so minutes. It was excruciating.   I cheered those around me as they achieved a full bar muscle up. I kept trying but I have to say I felt some relief when the clock went. I left that evening and went home and cried.  I know, I know, what a wuss!! But I was disappointed in myself that I just couldn't get it! 
The following week I was determined to put 16.3 behind me and give 16.4 a good go. I did OK. I got through, the 55 deadlifts, 55 wallballs and 44 calories on the rower. The wallballs wore me out. But I ended the workout smiling. 

I just love this photo (picture courtesy ewelina downey)

The last workout was for time and it was going to be a tough one. It was 21 thrusters 21 burpees, 18 thrusters 18 burpees, 15 thrusters 15 burpees, 12 thrusters 12 burpees, 9 thrusters 9 burpees, 6 thrusters 6 burpees, 3 thrusters and 3 burpees. It looks horrible in black and white and it was horrible. Burpees, I thought they were done with in 16.1.


Eric suggested to start off steady and if you can give it everything at the end, which I tried to do. It was a pure grind. The support of those cheering me on definitely got me to the end of this one. This is the workout that  caused my knees so much pain. (Thankfully, arnica and deep heat eased the bruising and tenderness.)
What did I learn over the five weeks:- 
my fellow crossfitters are an amazing bunch of people, who can raise you up even beyond what you think you can do yourself
I could have pushed myself further on some of the workouts 
I am determined to get better and do better over the next year
As I improve at Crossfit I know that my running will improve, which I look forward to. It already has improved my endurance as a runner as well as strengthen my legs. My hopes for the 2017 Crossfit Open would be that I complete each workout well and there are NO BURPEES!!



No comments:

Post a Comment