Thursday 4 September 2014

Putting in the miles and muscle..

Training continues, Monday evening usually goes something like this:- waiting for the group, chatting, a warm up, various sessions - usually I pull up the rear but hopefully a bit quicker than last year. The Demense is our training ground at present but even as I write the night sky is dark and it is only 8.30 p.m., so a change in venue will come a lot sooner than last year. 
The plan at present is to run the women's mini marathon and also do the Killarney 10 miler both at the end of September. And with these runs in mind, I have set out each week. The latter frightens me because it has one or two hills in it, but it is for a good cause!!!! 
Michelle, Anna and Karen ran part of the course, report - tough but doable
With these runs in mind, last Sunday, I set off to do an 8 mile run.  Leaving the Gleneagle Hotel, I headed toward the Golf Course, steady, steady, steady
All was well as I headed towards the Castlerosse Hotel, when a big f****** dog went for me, teeth gnashing, he was on a lead thankfully but his owner didn't seem bothered. The couple coming along after him asked how I was, the shock of it, I stopped. Giving myself a little shake, I went on . Trying to keep my pace steady. 
I have taken to running with a book in my ear, mostly to try and drown out my inner monologue, at present Rob Lowe is my running partner. Not bad having Rob Lowe talking in your ear as you run through Killarney National Park is it!!!

He tells them well..
I headed out the Fossa way, I turned at the entrance at Fossa, 4 down 4 to go.. Heading back, I met Tiffany who had completed the Toughathlon the previous day. A 10K obstacle course which combined running with alot of mud and water. Fair play to her!! 

In fairness, as I am running the view is great, which does help. The various shades of green are so pretty I had to take a picture.

Not a bad view to have in front of you as you run..

But even, with Rob (as I now call him) in my ear, my mind kicks in every now again, the monologue goes something like this , 'Really Majella, are you this fast, you're not that runner, plodder,  Remember!' and invariably, I slow down. But, sometimes I don't, so progress!

As I headed into mile 8, I found it the hardest, I felt tired I suppose. But I stopped and started, a few times. Aghhh!!  But, wanting to finish strong, I sprinted toward my stop sign.  Yeahhh..

A few weeks ago Siobhan came to training telling us about a TRX/kettle bell class, she had started. Her enthusiasm for it encouraged the rest of us to sign up for a once a week class. Wow, tough but my core will thank me around about February. I hope!  At present, it's crying it doesn't know whats going on. 

Over the next few weeks there are a few runs ahead of us and this Saturday, Karen heads to Dingle to complete the Half Marathon. How great is that! She'll do fantastic.. Can't wait to see the bling!


No comments:

Post a Comment