Friday 2 May 2014

My Driving force..

Last week, I did nothing nada, zilch, zero. I know what ye're thinking I'll be the one complaining and moaning about how slow etc.. I am.  So it was with a sense of dread that I headed to training. I don't know about any one else but if I miss my runs, I find my legs always feel heavier on that first run. So, as I arrived at Torc with Susan, I put my hands up to Brenda and admitted my lack of effort the previous week. And tried not to think of the pain I might feel over the next hour.
As soon as everyone arrived, we set off down under the tunnel and into the park. As I chatted away to Caroline, Tina & Susan, we continued into the park and reminisced about the half marathon the previous year. As we turned to turn back our talk turned to fashion of the running variety, Michelle had a lovely running jacket on, which she told us that 'Santa' had got her, we all noted that since our running adventures had started any gifts received seemed to have a running theme.
Onwards we went and  I resumed my place at the back of the pack!
As we reached the bottom of Torc steps, up we went. We got to the top of the first two sets of steps and then I kid you not Brenda said the following "WE'LL JOG ON!!".  At this point I was wrecked, I tried to run I did I promise but my legs settled into a walk. As we went up the next set of steps, I felt like I couldn't do it. Of course I could and did it with Brenda urging me on. We had to go down the steps and up once more before heading down to the bottom. We then ran down to the toilets which was quite enjoyable until we got to the end and Brenda said we were to run up to the base of steps and down 5 times. At this stage the thought of running up to those steps was beyond me or so I thought! I also thought that Brenda was trying to kill me... But In fairness, the finish changed each time, thankfully and with each time it got easier. That's what makes the group great it pushes you to do things you wouldn't normally do or think you could do.
We headed to the carpark, as we stretched we discussed motivation, I think being the second time round for some of us we aren't wide eyed about it and know whats in front of us. Aghhhhhh!!!! So we have to set new goals rather than just finishing a half marathon. Poor Karen, Tara & Tiffany had to listen us reminiscing. But the newest members of our group are way more capable than I was last year to be truthful than I am this year..
This weekend some of the group are out running Siobhan, is heading to do Limerick run half marathon and Bernie is doing the Wings for  Life run in Killarney.
Also, as mentioned I haven't spent much time talking about the group this year which I aim to change because the group is the driving force which helps me moving forward.







No comments:

Post a Comment