Thursday 18 February 2016

Valentines day running - 10 miles

After all the rain of the last few months, it was great to wake on Sunday to blue skies, it was a day made for running, the temperature was low but not too cold.  Heading into Tralee, I quickly found parking. I had everything I needed for my run water, phone, earphones I was missing only one thing sunglasses, the sun really was that strong...
A short walk down to the wetlands gave my legs a stretch, after the requisite toilet stop I was ready. I would be running solo none of the girls were able to make this one. The atmosphere was good and I felt quite relaxed....

There was nothing left to do only to head to the start line. There were pacers but I didn't know where to place myself, I knew where I'd like to finish but not wanting to put my 'delicate' running psyche under any pressure, I hedged my bets and lined up between the 1.45 and 2.00 hour pacers.  I did a few squats to keep the legs warm and soon enough we were off.
I knew I was going faster than I could maintain but I moved with the crowd and as the first mile passed, I didn't feel too bad. As I headed up Caherslee, I was able to ease in to a more maintainable pace, there were plenty of people out cheering us on which was lovely. As I hit the roundabout and turned left out into the country road, I felt a slight twinge. Aghhh!! A stitch but a quick stretch and I felt fine once more. I was really enjoying the run. I felt comfortable. Out in the Tralee countryside, the road stretched ahead I tried to run relaxed and smile, which wasn't too hard considering what a beautiful day it was.
I no longer felt a chill in fact I was quite warm as I turned left toward the Kerries.  I knew the road for next few miles was hilly with a few twist and turns, so I paced it as best I could, I walked one hill, ran another and then once more...Stitch!  I did the same as before, stretched but kept moving forward. The view at the top is lovely and offers a beautiful view over Tralee Bay.
What goes up must come down and as I headed down the stitch was there niggling.. The road climbed slightly and so did I slowly. I stopped again to stretch..  As I hit the 8th mile, I was thankful for the water offered, looking out at the Atlantic ocean is always uplifting but heading past Blennerville windmill and along the canal was tough, the stitch was a constant.

I caught up to a  runner I knew Elaine from the 'Kilgarvan ag rith' running group, she had picked up a bit of a knock herself. Over the next mile or so I walked a bit, ran as best I could but I was not enjoying it at all. As I headed towards the Brandon Hotel,  Elaine passed and offered encouragement as did another runner who said the best think for a stitch was to run through it, which I assure you is a lot easier said than done! (The runner I later realised was a pacer so they do know what they were talking about).  As I crossed the road, Susan was there she said just go for it  and some how I just kept looking straight, literally with my teeth gritted I sprinted towards the finish line as fast as I could.
Crossing the line I knew what was going to happen, I got as far as the white van and began to dry heave which quickly turn into the regurgitating of every sip of water I had drank since I woke..The stewards were extremely helpful and patient, fantastic!
Having retrieved my bling and stopped my trusty Garmin, I found a bench sat down and gathered myself. Susan and mum found me and my new bit of bling taking a few deep breaths. I finished just within the 2 hours.
Eyes in need of sunglasses..
Looking back on the run, I really did enjoy it as a whole the first half I paced my run well which I really happy about. And although I didn't finish as strong as I would have liked, I know I am capable of a good strong 10 mile run at some time in the future....


No comments:

Post a Comment